If you are arrested, immediately ask to notify the nearest US Embassy. You have the right to contact the American Consulate. If you are unable to do this, try to have someone contact the embassy for you. The Consulate should visit you, contact family and friends and can assist in the transfer of money, clothing and food.
Drug arrests and convictions among Americans are on the rise. If you are caught with illegal drugs overseas, you are subject to local, NOT US laws. If you are arrested, you must realize:
- Few countries provide a jury trial
- Some countries employ the death penalty, with no questions asked
- Most countries do not accept bail
- Pre-trial detention can often last months
- Inhumane conditions may exist in the prisons
- Officials may not speak English