Frequently Asked Questions

You've got questions, we've got answers.  Whether you want to know who can study abroad, how to pay your bill, or where you can get a passport, you'll find the answers you need here.

Don't see what you're looking for?  Stop by the office, give us a call at 412-648-7413, or send us an email to

I have a disciplinary record on campus – can I still go abroad?

Exceptions may be made on a case-by-case basis after meeting with the Study Abroad Disciplinary Committee.  Contact your study abroad advisor for more information.

I do not meet the minimum GPA requirement – can I still go abroad?

Exceptions may be made on a case by case basis.  Contact your study abroad advisor for more information.

How much does it cost to study abroad? What’s included?

The cost depends on the program you choose.

  • For Panther Programs, the program fee typically includes tuition, housing, travel insurance, and some course-related excursions. Inclusions may vary; please visit the program brochure page for pricing details.
  • Inclusions for Pitt-Recognized programs vary by provider; please visit the provider’s website for pricing information. You will not be responsible for paying Pitt tuition in addition to the provider’s tuition.
  • For Exchange Programs, you are responsible for paying normal Pitt tuition and fees directly to the University of Pittsburgh. Other fees and pricing details vary by program; please visit the program brochure page for details. 
Do I have to know a foreign language to study abroad?

No, although certain programs do have language requirements.  Remember, too, that it is always helpful to know some of the host language.  

I’m a graduate student – are there study abroad programs for me?

Yes!  Various departments on campus offer study abroad programs for graduate students.  You may also be able to participate on a program designed for undergraduate students, with your Dean’s approval.

What do I do for housing when I return?

If you are planning on living in on-campus housing, you should speak with Panther Central at 412-648-1100.

If you are planning on living off-campus, you can either sign a lease before you leave or find a sublet.  The Office of Off-Campus Living ( maintains a list of available sublets in and around Oakland.

Do I need a cell phone while I’m abroad?

The majority of our programs require that you have a cell phone with a local number while abroad.  Your study abroad advisor or program leader will give you more information on how to obtain one.  

When will I receive my grades for my study abroad classes?

For Panther Programs, grades are generally available 6-8 weeks after the program ends and will be posted to your PeopleSoft account much like grades on campus.

For Exchange Programs and Pitt-Recognized Programs, your host university or program provider will send a copy of your transcript directly to you as well as to our office.  It can easily take 8 weeks or more for this to occur.

How do I pay for my Pitt-Recognized Program?

Beyond the Study Abroad Fee, you will not pay anything to the University of Pittsburgh if you study abroad with a Pitt-Recognized Program.  Your program provider will bill you directly.

How do I pay for my Panther Program or Exchange Program?

Charges for Panther Programs and Exchange Programs are posted to your student account in PittPAY and are due according to the standard Due Date Schedule. If you expect to aid disbursements that will create a credit balance on your student account, BE SURE you sign up for eRefunds in PittPAY so you get your money in 2-3 business days. Without eRefunds, you will have to wait 10-14 days for a paper check mailed to your home address.