Frequently Asked Questions

You've got questions, we've got answers.  Whether you want to know who can study abroad, how to pay your bill, or where you can get a passport, you'll find the answers you need here.

Don't see what you're looking for?  Stop by the office, give us a call at 412-648-7413, or send us an email to

I’m on a pre-med or pre-pharmacy track – can I study abroad?

Yes!  You can attend any of our programs but we recommend you meet with your academic advisor as early as possible since they can help you choose the right program and the best time for you to go abroad.  

I am a non-US citizen – can I study abroad?

Yes!  You should be aware that there may be additional visa requirements.  You should speak to your study abroad advisor before choosing a program.

I’m a transfer student – can I study abroad?

Yes!  You must complete 24 credits on a Pitt campus before you are eligible to go abroad.

Can I study abroad after I’ve graduated?

Yes, but only the semester or summer after you have graduated.  Get in touch with us at for more information.

I’m a graduate student – are there study abroad programs for me?

Yes!  Various departments on campus offer study abroad programs for graduate students.  You may also be able to participate on a program designed for undergraduate students, with your Dean’s approval.

Do I have to know a foreign language to study abroad?

No, although certain programs do have language requirements.  Remember, too, that it is always helpful to know some of the host language.  

I do not meet the minimum GPA requirement – can I still go abroad?

Exceptions may be made on a case by case basis.  Contact your study abroad advisor for more information.