Frequently Asked Questions

Who your advisor is depends on your school, campus, and type of program that you choose.  Visit Our Team to find your advisor or get in touch with us at to get pointed in the right direction.

Us!  Stop by our office in 802 William Pitt Union (Monday-Friday, 9:30 AM – 5 PM), call us at 412-648-7413, or email us at If you are looking for a specific person in your school or on your campus, visit Our Team.

While most students study abroad the spring semester of their junior year, you can do so any time after you have completed 24 credits on a Pitt campus. We believe the best time for you to study abroad is whenever you feel ready, whether that be academically, financially, or mentally ready.

For Panther Programs, grades are generally available 6-8 weeks after the program ends and will be posted to your PeopleSoft account much like grades on campus. For Exchange Programs and Pitt-Recognized Programs, your host university or program provider will send a copy of your transcript directly to you as well as to our office.  It can easily take 8 weeks or more for this to occur.

We recommend that you begin planning your study abroad experience no later than one full academic term prior to your anticipated departure.  Ideally, you will begin planning to study abroad during your first year.  The earlier you start, the easier it is to find courses to fit your academic plans. You can best prepare by researching our programs to find the right choice for you, talking to our peer advisors and program managers and meeting with your academic advisors.

Your program manager, host university, or program provider will give you specific information on booking flights after you have been accepted to the program.  You should not book flights before then.

Application deadlines for the 2020-2021 academic year may vary more than normal due to the pandemic.  Generally, you can expect programs to follow the timeframes below but you'll want to check each program's page to verify the deadline.

Spring Mid-October
Plus3  Early December
Summer Late January / Early February
Fall and Full-Year Late March


A visa is a document that grants you legal approval to enter or travel through a country. Your study abroad advisor or program provider will let you know if you need a visa and will provide you with the necessary instructions when the time comes.

If you are planning on living in on-campus housing, you should speak with Panther Central at 412-648-1100. If you are planning on living off-campus, you can either sign a lease before you leave or find a sublet.  The Office of Off-Campus Living ( maintains a list of available sublets in and around Oakland.

To be eligible to apply for a program, you have to have completed 24 credits on campus, have at least a 2.75 GPA, and a fairly clear judicial record.  That said, there's a lot more that goes into reviewing applications, so we encourage you to read all of our Application Requirements to understand how we'll review your application.

We have five different types of programs that we offer, and each one is a bit different.

Panther Programs: developed and run by Pitt Study Abroad in connection with Pitt faculty.  Grades factor into your GPA and you are billed by Pitt.

Study Away: Panther Programs that take place within the US or Canada

Partner Programs: overseas partners.  Like Panther Programs without Pitt Faculty.  Grades factor into your GPA and you are billed by Pitt.

Exchange Programs: one to one relationships with overseas partners.  Tuition is billed by Pitt, housing in on your own.  Grades do not factor into your GPA.

Pitt-Recognized Programs: approved programs from other organizations.  Pay your host organization directly.  Grades do not factor into your GPA.

More information is here.

Yes!  You can attend any of our programs but we recommend you meet with your academic advisor as early as possible since they can help you choose the right program and the best time for you to go abroad.  

Yes!  We offer study abroad programs specifically designed for you, and you can also attend any of our other programs.  We recommend you meet with your academic advisor as early as possible since they can help you choose the right program and the best time for you to go abroad.  

You should speak with your doctor or health care provider and insurance company as soon as possible.  Given that many medications available in the U.S. are not available overseas or only available in different dosages, you should plan on taking a sufficient medication supply to last you the entire duration of your program.

Yes!  You must complete 24 credits on a Pitt campus before you are eligible to go abroad.

Yes! In fact, many of our programs offer engineering courses approved by Pitt Engineering to count toward degree requirements for engineering students. Swanson houses an Engineering International Programs Office that offers advising and program management services for engineering students.  Please stop by 152 Benedum Hall or contact their office at 412-624-9823.

Yes! In fact, many of our programs offer business courses approved by Pitt Business to count toward degree requirements, and also offer internship opportunities tailored for business students. Pitt Business houses an International Programs Office that provides advising and program management services for Pitt Business students.  Please stop by 2600 Sennott Square or contact their office at 412-383-7489 or

Yes!  Various departments on campus offer study abroad programs for graduate students.  You may also be able to participate on a program designed for undergraduate students, with your Dean’s approval.

The US Department of State maintains a comprehensive list of travel alerts and warnings for American citizens overseas.  The Study Abroad Office has different policies for undergraduates, graduate students, staff, and faculty traveling to countries with active travel warnings.  If you are planning on studying abroad in a country with an active travel warning, read the document below and contact Jeff Whitehead, Director, with any questions or concerns.  

We’ve all been a "first time traveler," so we’ve put together a guide to help you get ready for your first trip abroad.  From airports and baggage to money and cell phones, find everything you need to know in the link below.  If you would like to attend a live presentation, sign up below. Still have questions?  Get in touch with your program manager or advisor.