Frequently Asked Questions

Here are two critical things to know: US passport applications can take anywhere from 6-8 weeks to process.  Getting your passport needs to be one of the first things you do. If you already have a passport, please check to be sure that it is valid for the time period you will be abroad.  The Study Abroad Office (and most foreign governments) requires that your passport be valid for at least six months after you plan on leaving your host country. If you are a US citizen without a valid passport, visit the Department of State’s website to get your application started.  Part of the application process requires you to visit a passport processing center, so we’ve included a link to our preferred centers below. Non-US citizens are welcome to study abroad and also need a valid passport from their country of citizenship.  Be sure to let your program manager or advisor know as soon as possible if you are not a US citizen, as this may impact your visa situation.

The majority of our programs require that you have a cell phone with a local number while abroad.  Your study abroad advisor or program leader will give you more information on how to obtain one.  

No, although certain programs do have language requirements.  Remember, too, that it is always helpful to know some of the host language.  

Yes.  Remember that personal travel must not conflict with classes, internships, and mandatory excursions.  Travel or travel-related delays are never an acceptable reason for missing part of your program.

Yes, but only the semester or summer after you have graduated.  Get in touch with us at for more information.

Generally, you can study abroad during your final term.  However, there are a few things to know: You must receive permission from the Dean of your school or college to do so.  This form is available as a part of your study abroad application. Your graduation will most likely be delayed by one semester due to the time it takes for our office to receive your grades and/or transcripts.

Generally yes, but you need to speak with your academic advisor to determine whether or not the courses you take while abroad will fulfill their requirements.  Pitt Study Abroad cannot approve any courses towards majors, minors, or certificates.  

Yes!  Going abroad and taking at least six credits generally fulfill your International Foreign Culture (IFC) requirements, and certain study abroad locations will fulfill the Non-Western Foreign Culture requirement for Arts and Sciences. For Panther Programs, courses that fulfill other general education requirements are listed on each program’s page.  For Exchanges and Pitt-Recognized Programs, your study abroad advisor will review your courses for general education requirements.

Yes.  See our Scholarships page for a list of available scholarships and applications. Keep in mind that scholarships for study abroad are competitive and will not cover the entire cost of the program.  You should make alternate plans for paying for your program in case you are not awarded a scholarship.