This Panther program is designed for students with little to no Japanese language training but who are fascinated by Japanese culture and who want to earn 6 credits in a packed 5-week summer program. Your experience will be guided by faculty from Pitt’s East Asian Languages and Literatures department and by faculty and staff from our host, Konan University CUBE campus. Learn how to navigate the local commuter trains and make friends with Konan CUBE students by participating in the buddy program. Discover the ancient cities of Kyoto (former imperial capital) and Nara, a UNESCO World Heritage site a short train ride from the port city of Kobe.
Click here to see a video made by last year's Pitt in Japan students.
- You will develop a deeper understanding of modern and historical Japan beyond manga and anime
- You will acquire survival Japanese language skills or build upon your existing skills
- You will get to know Kansai and interact with local students
Kobe is a safe, friendly, and manageable city with a history of openness to foreign visitors. Its location by the mountains and the sea give it unique beauty and charm. Kansai International Airport is an hour away and train connections to Osaka and Kyoto are easy to manage.You will study at Konan University's CUBE campus beside the Nishinomiya Gardens shopping mall.
- You will live in clean, modern single-sex dormitories with fellow Pitt students and local students
- All rooms are singles; toilet and shower areas are shared
- You will commute from the dormitories to campus on safe and reliable local trains (transportation pass included)
- Your commute can be an hour--this is a normal commute for students in Japan
- You will enroll in the mandatory core course JPNSE 0006: Japan: its People and Culture
- You will enroll in an elective course, either "Doing Business in Japan" or JPNSE 0007: Special Topics
- Your courses may count toward a UCIS Area Studies Certificate
- Konan University CUBE campus
- Faculty from Pitt's Department of East Asian Languages and LIteratures will teach core course
- Local Konan University faculty will teach elective courses
Hello Students! I am Leslie Ann Smedley, Senior Advisor and look forward to helping Arts and Sciences students to identify, apply for, and thrive in the study abroad program that fits each students’ academic/linguistic/cultural needs. I have been in the field of International Education for many years, including the last 10 in the Study Abroad Office. I am a Pittsburgher who studied abroad in Strasbourg, France while an undergrad and haven’t stopped travelling since. In addition to being passionate about discovering new places, I love to cook, garden and read. I look forward to helping you to achieve your goals!
Items Billed by Pitt
Study Abroad Fee
Total Billed by Pitt
Estimated Additional Out-of-Pocket Costs
$1,500 - $2,000
Total Estimated Program Cost
Total Estimated Cost of Program
(Includes items billed by Pitt and additional expenses)
$7,750 - $8,250
$7,950 - $8,450
As a part of your program fee, the following are included:
- Tuition for 6 credits
- Housing in Kobe area for five weeks
- 2 meals a day for six days a week
- Health Insurance
- Orientation and Farewell parties
- Commuter Subsidy (depending on location of residence hall)
- One extra-curricular excursion
June 1-July 5, 2020
This is the program for you if you want to experience daily life as local student do in Japan. If you have from 0-2 semesters of Japanese language prior to participation, you will find a good fit. This is not a language-intensive program and no prior knowledge of Japanese is required.