A completed online application is required in order to apply for Plus3. Online applications will be available at the start of the Fall term.
The Plus3 program is only open to students in Pitt Business (main campus, UPJ), Swanson School of Engineering and School of Nursing.
Please note: all students must be 18 years old by the start date of their program.
Applying to Plus3
Passport Requirement (A passport is valid if the expiration date of passport is 6 months beyond the dates of travel.)
- Students must provide a valid passport or proof of renewal
- GPA of 2.75 or higher
- Complete 24 credits earned at Pitt before the program starts (regardless of AP, HS, transfer credits)
- An inconsistent academic record (i.e. a higher-than-normal number of withdrawals or failing grades, less than the number of credits required at Pitt, and your previous semester GPA)
- One or more disciplinary violations will trigger an additional review.
- Students with any drugs and/or alcohol-related violations (including knowingly present with alcohol) will not be eligible to participate in Plus3.
- Students under active disciplinary sanction at the time of application and/or during the program are not eligible to study abroad.
The application deadline is listed on the Plus3 program page. Applications are not reviewed on a rolling basis; all applications will be reviewed after the deadline has passed.
Application Short Answer Questions
Please remember that Plus3 is a competitive program, therefore careful consideration is placed when reviewing students’ answers to the application’s short answer questions. The information provided in the short answers helps determine if a student is a good fit for the program.
To allow applicants adequate time to prepare a quality submission for the Plus 3 program, please review and begin working on the following short answer questions from the Plus 3 application:
- What makes you a qualified candidate for this program?
- Why have you selected this study abroad program?
- What challenges do you anticipate on this program, and how do you plan to overcome them?
- What goals do you intend to achieve while studying abroad, and how will you achieve them?
- Remember that you’re applying to the Plus3 Program (not a specific location). Because there is no guarantee that you will be placed into your preferred location, your responses should not reflect one specific location.
- Read the question carefully. If prompted, please provide more than one example. For example, you should consider multiple dimensions of learning in your responses (professional, academic, cultural and personal).
- Your answers should be long enough to completely answer the prompt. Most applicants answer within 400 words.
- Please write in complete sentences. Do not use bullet points.
- Research the Plus3 program and location(s).
- Be honest and authentic in your responses.
- If you have any additional questions, please reach out to your program’s contact (noted on the Plus3 page).
Plus3 Contact Information
- Jodi Suckle, Global Programs Manager
- Rick Moslen, International Programs Manager
School of Nursing
- Lucinda Morgan, Director for International Affairs, School of Nursing
For general study abroad application requirements, click here.