Preparing to be Away From Campus

There are a few important matters on-campus that you must take care of before departing for your program abroad.


If you're participating on a semester program, the tips below will help you navigate your on-campus and off-campus housing situations.


If you're participating on a semster program and currently live on-campus, you will need to get a letter from the Study Abroad Office to release you from your housing agreement. This can only be completed after you've been accepted and commit to your program (deposit and completed agreement).
If you're planning on living on-campus after you're program, you should speak with Panther Central at 412-648-1100.


If you are planning on living off-campus, you can either sign a lease before you leave or find a sublet. The Office of off-Campus Living ( maintains a list of available sublets in and around Oakland. This is also a good resource if you're currently in a lease and need to find a sublet. 

Academic Requirements/Preparations

Gen-Ed Requirements

Going abroad and taking at least six credits generally fulfill your International Foreign Culture (IFC) requirements, and certain study abroad locations will fulfill the Non-Western Foreign Culture requirement for Arts and Sciences.
For Panther Programs, courses that fulfill other general education requirements are listed on each program’s page.  For Exchanges and Pitt-Recognized Programs, your study abroad advisor will review your courses for general education requirements.

Major, Minor, Certificate Requirements

You need to speak with your academic advisor to determine whether or not the courses you take while abroad will fulfill their requirements.  Pitt Study Abroad cannot approve any courses towards majors, minors, or certificates.  

Course Approval Form

You are required to complete a course approval form before you commit to the program. The Course Approval Form can be found on your Pitt Study Abroad Profile @ s a part of the study abroad process, you are required to meet with your academic advisor to release any advising holds and to discuss course applicability towards majors, minors, and certificates.  
*Regional Campus students: contact your campus coordinator for instructions
Due Dates:
Spring: Early November
Summer: Early March
Fall: Early April
In addition to your course approval form, you will complete a Course Selection Survey for your program. Your Program Manager will complete your registration for you based on the survey. You will be notified when your registration has been completed. It will be your responsibility to notify your Program Manager of any errors or changes to your selection.

Studying Abroad During Your Final Year

Generally, you can study abroad during your final term.  However, there are a few things to know:
You must receive permission from the Dean of your school or college to do so.  This form is available as a part of your study abroad application.
Your graduation will most likely be delayed by one semester due to the time it takes for our office to receive your grades and/or transcripts.