Mental Health

If you are currently seeing a counselor for any reason, do not assume that you cannot or won’t want to continue while you are abroad. Instead, it is very important to inform your Study Abroad Advisor and counselor prior to departure so they can ensure that the proper services are available at the host institution for you.  The University of Pittsburgh Counseling Center is located Nordenburg Hall and their phone number is (412) 648-7930. Many insurance companies (including HTH) do cover counseling sessions abroad.
If you have a disability, including a chronic medical issue, psychological disorders, or learning/testing differences, you should consult with a Study Abroad Advisor and an advisor in the Office of Disability Resource Services (located in 140 WPU 412-648-7890) to determine the most appropriate study abroad program for you.  Disclosure of a disability does not preclude you from participating on a study abroad program.  Disclosure enables the Study Abroad Office staff to assist you in finding a program which will be able to accommodate your needs. Please note: if you are not registered with DRS, the Study Abroad Office will not be able to offer you accomodations based on your disability.
The Study Abroad Office has produced a student-focused documentary highlighting the study abroad experiences of Pitt students with disabilities of all sorts.  The film, called Making It Happen: Study Abroad for Students with Disabilities is available from the Study Abroad Office. 
In addition, Mobility International provides helpful information for students with disabilities including: International Study and Travel Resource Guides for Students with Disabilities “A World Awaits You” - A Journal for International Exchange for people with disabilities. For more information on Mobility International, please contact:
Mobility International USA
PO BOX 10767
Eugene, OR 97440
Phone: 541-343-1284
Fax: 541-343-6812