Property Insurance

COVID-19 Response: Learn how PittGEO is working under the current operating postures. Read More...

Since you’ll be doing a good bit of traveling to get to your study abroad destination, it is wise to be concerned about the things that you bring with you as well as yourself.  Check if your belongings are covered by your parents' or your homeowners or renters insurance policy.  If you wish, you may purchase a "rider" or "personal articles floater" itemizing any high-value items with which you are traveling (i.e. laptops, jewelry, etc.).  This extra coverage is inexpensive and will cover the replacement cost of the item, not just the depreciated value.  While the parents' coverage may extend to the U.S. campus dorm room, it does not extend to study abroad unless there is a special rider or floater.  However, with the rider or personal articles floater, the specified items are covered anywhere in the world.

Make Copies of Important Documents

Leave a copy of all information at home and keep a copy with you in a safe place.  Items include: copies of the first two pages of your passport, pages containing current visas, travelers checks numbers, credit card numbers, ATM card numbers, medical eyeglass/contact prescriptions, and any other essential documents

Lost or Stolen Passport

If your passport is lost or stolen, report the loss immediately to the nearest Foreign Service post ( and to the local police. If you can provide the consular officer with the information contained in your passport, it will speed the issuance of a new passport (memorize your number).  Keep a Xerox of your passport data page in a separate place from where you keep your actual passport.

Keeping Documents Safe

  • Take good care of passports, travel tickets, and any other important documents.
  • When traveling to your overseas destination, keep your passport with you at all times, preferably in a money pouch that you can wear on your body.  You should also keep proof of citizenship (an expired passport copy or copy of your birth certificate) and proof of identity (any type of photo ID), as well as a copy of your passport and serial number, in a separate location; this will expedite the administrative process in the event that your passport is lost or stolen. 
  • At your program site, it is advisable to carry photocopied information with you at all times.  When cashing travelers checks, you will need your passport.